This project is read-only.

Windows Phone support?

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM

love the library unfortunately, one of the attracting qualities of the underlying WebSocket4Net is that it will work under pretty much any .NET runtime. Specifically for me, the Windows Phone runtime.

I've had a cursory hack through the code and I can see that there's a few techniques used that seem to be a non-starter with the compact framework. How hard would it be to port? I've found that the concurrent collection objects and dynamic types are particularly throwing a spanner in the works

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I believe WP7 targets .NET Framework 3.5, which means no dynamic keyword, and that alone
is certainly a killer. The concurrent collections could be dealt with pretty easily.
Not sure what plans MS has for 4.0 Client Profile on the phone - any ideas or timing of such?​

WP7 does target SL4, and it supports 'dynamic' so I may not be following
completely what the roadblock is here?  
I don't develop directly with Windows Phone, so I'm open to suggestions as 
to what needs to be done...
Jim

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Curious - you're right... yet Visual Studio is still barfing.

I'm currently toying with WebSockets of a Thursday afternoon for one of these 10% "research something that might benefit the company" things that are all the rage with tech companies. I'll try getting the SocketIO4Net.Client over the line then. I'll let you know how I get on.

UPDATE: Appears that WP7 doesn't support dynamic. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4581224/does-windows-phone-7-support-the-dynamic-keyword

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I'm also interested in WP support - especially for version 8. Did your efforts get anywhere with this?
Oct 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM
The NuGet package will not install in a Windows Phone 8.0 project - which is based on a slimmed down version of .NET 4.5 afaik.

The error claims the package targets '.NETFramework,Version=4.0' - presumably then it is the slimmed down components that prevent it from running.
Dec 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Is there an alternative to use socket.io on WP8?
May 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Edited May 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Hello! I wonder if socketio4net works on. NET Micro Framework?

thanks!/Sam
Jun 4, 2014 at 7:00 AM
I have a working version of Socket.IO for WP8 if anyone is interested. I think it'll work on WP8.1 as well.
Jun 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM
teddyseyed wrote:
I have a working version of Socket.IO for WP8 if anyone is interested. I think it'll work on WP8.1 as well.
I'm definitely interested.
Oct 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM
teddyseyed wrote:
Hi teddyseyed,

Did you make any changes to get it to work?